Monday, January 29, 2024

Autism is no joke....Part 2!!

Eventually, after several hospital visits and many tests, I finally thought I had some answers. I realized that Skyler NEVER had any of these seizure episodes at home. The teachers said that when it happens his whole-body collapses and he is unresponsive on the floor. They have to wait a few minutes for him to respond and then he gets up and sits on a chair. From there he is very weak and shaky. This gave me some clues. I even overheard one of the paramedics say that it could be a blood sugar issue. OF COURSE!!! With all Skyler's food issues, it had to be linked. I got to thinking. When Sky is home he has access to all his normal (for him) foods. He can eat when he wants and drink his milk. When he goes to school I do pack his lunch (there is no way he will eat any of the school food) but he cant necessarily eat when he wants because he is 18 and should be working. I couldn't be certain but I wondered if his blood sugar was dropping and causing him to have these episodes?  

I took him to his doctor and she did some blood work and suggested that we make sure he eats before the bus comes and pack some juices and snacks. I did that and here we are today, no further along than before in figuring out what is wrong with Skyler. He is still having those episodes ONLY at school and I am just beside myself. I no longer feel like school is a safe place for him to be with his health. I think that all these years of living on his limited food selections has taken a toll on his body. He lives on milk and carbs. 

Today I reached my limit. Skyler had an episode at school. I just started a new job and I had to call a family member to pick him up from school again. I cant do it. I just am so done. My anxiety level is so high. I am sitting at work wondering if I am going to get a call about Skyler fainting. I cant leave work because its a new job so I had to make a very hard choice today. I am going to ask the school to put Skyler on a home school program. This is the only thing I can think of that might work. He is 18 and still has a year and a half possibly two years left before he can graduate. He is so far behind. I cried a lot today. I am so sad. I feel like I have failed. I feel like the future is grim. I dont know how to move on. I am hoping the school will work with us. I am so lost and sad today. 

No comments: